18 February 2008

Isle of Wight

Now the Isle of Wight now that was a great holiday I loved the place and would go back at anytime, I found it good for my wheelchair, although there might be a few places that would need to be checked out if you were to go yourself if you used a wheelchair. The first part of the holiday which was a new experience for me was crossing the Solent it was really calm when we went although I thought I might be sick, but I was fine, once we reached the hotel it was lovely and very accessible and the food was the best bit.

Mum and I went for walks along the front and had a good look around all the quaint shops I liked looking in the windows, some of them were hard to get in but we tried most of them, as I did not like to miss out if it was possible to go and look. After a few days, we got a wheelchair accessible cab through the town to the big leisure centre and it was as if my dreams were coming alive because the pool was massive and I was pleased to see they had a hoist so I was well happy. Mum sat in the spectator area as she doesn't like water too much and watched me enjoying myself then when I came out we went for lunch in there cafe I was really hungry after being in the pool and was bit tired but I felt great.

Then we decided that rather than getting the cab back we would slowly walk back so that we could see all the shops and things that were going on. When we got back to the hotel, we sat in the lounge and had coffee and I fell asleep for about 20 minutes.The next day there was an excursion planned to Osbourne House, home of Queen Victoria well we jumped at the chance so it was back onto the bus for a while and off we went, what a lovely place it was too. When we got there, we were not able to get fully into the grounds of the house with the coach, although to my excitement there was a horse and a sort of carriage waiting for us. All the people got off the coach and I watched them go off. I remember saying to the driver that I would struggle getting into the carriage and he replied do not worry there is a special one coming for you that is wheelchair accessible. I could not wait and sure enough there I was being wheeled up into the carriage and we were off to the house the closer we got the more amazed I was it was lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment