18 February 2008

Do I have muscle spasms as a result of your Cerebral Palsy

As you may of read already through my blog I have spastic diplegia cerebral palsy which means I have tight muscles which means I find it difficult to move at times because my legs are stiff and it can also be tiring because I am sort of fighting against it. The worst time for me is winter or if it’s cold and damp my muscles tighten up. To help me overcome the tightness I take a daily muscle relaxant called Dantrolene and this helps to keep my muscles loose enough to move but not enough to make me go floppy, because with Spastic Diplegia CP the move has to have a certain amount our tightness to be able to function.Dantrolene sodium is a muscle relaxant that is currently the only specific and effective treatment for malignant hyperthermia. It is also used in the management of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, muscle spasticity (e.g. after strokes, in paraplegia, cerebral palsy, or patients with multiple sclerosis) and ecstasy intoxication.

No comments:

Post a Comment