30 July 2008

Normal - So what is normal

Normal- conforming to a norm, standard, regular, a normal temperature. ( psychol.) Conforming to the standard or average for a particular type or group (loosely) mentally or emotionally sound. (math)Says the New Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus.



So what is Normal to you?

Being normal to me, is being able to accept myself as I am in totality. It is being able to accept myself as our maker has made me- including all the trails, challenges, and joys of my life. Seen and unseen; It is being able to accept what happened to me when I was only 5 months old. And, it is being able to see the whole of me despite what others may think. Which really is none of my business at all!

My business is to continue to carry on- it is to continue to be the best person I can be no matter what. Normal to me, is learning about myself, and reaching beyond in all area's of my life- mentally, physically, and spiritually- It is truly being able to see how my maker wanted me, to rise above these challenges, that have not only confronted my spirit, but have shown me who I am, even with my Cerebral Palsy, and a learning disability, and what I could become, achieve, contribute to the world, and rise above...

Being normal could also be what we think others want us to be. That we don't fit in or act or speak, or dress a certain way. Normal to one person is not normal to another, as we all see things in our lives, in a different perspective and light. We all have thoughts, and feelings, and issues, that we deal with on all different levels. However, if we could not lay labels, barriers, and stigmas on others human beings, to make them feel ugly, inferior, or desperate inside, because of our own belief system, or what society make us to believe- we would find out that we are ALL normal

Everyone is different and unique in their own birthright. You can see some disabilities while not others. Who is it then, for us to judge another person, or say what is normal

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog - has it really been that bad? Of course it has. It's a dog eat dog world and if they can attack you or anyone they will. Why is the little old lady attacked by the gang of boys - because they can and she is weak.

    So press on - well you will anyways. It doesn't really matter what people say. My therapist said to me: aren't you a little old to be worrying about the opinion of your peers. It was so cool to be liberated from the fear of being different. I actually like being different. More and more people are celebrating their difference. Enough said.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    This is an interesting question that you have ask and something that I often ask myslef, but never too sure of the answer. The way I biew "normal" is life is normal to me this is normal too be because I don't know any different, it is normal for me to live in society, its normal that I should want to contribute to the world I live in and support myself,

    When people disabled people say I just want to be normal ?? what do you actually mean?? what is it that you want to do that isnt something that everyone does, what you have got to think is I can do it the same as everyone I have just got to adapt my way of doing it

    ReplyDelete