01 August 2008

Dignity & Respect

I keep getting Google blog alerts on Learning Disabilities, and I cannot help but think about the honest dignity and respect we truly get as a person or person(s) with a physical disability or a learning disability.

In my opinion, there is truly very little dignity or respect given us! It is condescending and makes one feel less than good about themselves- as they pat you on the head, and throw you a bone, as you are pushed though the system for there benefit. Never once, in my entire life, have I received anything positive or constructive from the social system that I live in. I have had to fight for myself each and every step of the way- and still am today!

I have been pushed and shoved and prodded into programs and workshops which were really beneath my level to succeed as a normal person in society. I have been looked down upon and scrutinized and labelled mentally retarded each and every time I had an educational desire or goal I wanted to accomplish.

I believe, that true dignity and respect is when others truly try to help you more forward in your life or situation. They not only help by guiding you, but they encourage you, and they believe in you! They show you the way and the ropes to attain those desires before it's too late or before you are middle age or your life is half over!

They advise and inspire you to keep reaching towards your star's. And they empower your soul by bringing you hope in your heart. They give you a reason and purpose to keep carrying on. They believe in you too, by their warmth and care as they root you on with encouragement each and every step of the way. They motivate you in ways that work for you. Not in ways that work best for them!

Instead of nurturing you and your development and abilities, they negatively tell you that you have pipe dreams. They don't have the insight or the compassion that it takes to either stir you on, or to fortify you with positive affirmations to help you attain another accomplishments in your life. Instead, they reticule you in ways that you question yourself and your motives and abilities. One begins to doubt themselves and wonder if they are being honest and true. Their believe in themselves begins to fade away and they begin to sip on the non-truths the system is feeding them.

This system, is not a system of empowerment It is a system of beating you down, till you cannot rise up from the hole anymore! How shameful! How heinous a crime to be beaten down for someone else's power and greed, so you have little power or say so over your own life and destiny. How deplorable, despicable, and low-down is that? No matter what you say and try to do to defend yourself makes matters even worse!

And that is why I have tirelessly fought my whole, entire life- and still fight for today! It's that simple dignity and respect that I too can live, and move, and breathe, like everyone else here on this plant. I am not a monster to be stared at- or to be looked down upon, just because I unfortunately had brain damage and got Cerebral Palsy when I was an infant! We who have disabilities want to partake in this simple thing called life, too! It does not matter what degree we can, just as long as we can and we can have a say-so in our own lives!

This being said, I am convinced that those who have C.P. like myself, with a learning disability, who really, truly want to go out into the world and be like every one else in society- making a living for themselves- putting food on the table for themselves, and working with joy amongst others, to put their own clothing on their own backs, as they make their own decisions and choice's, and pay their way throughout life, just like any other normal human being for their own wants, and, for their own needs and desires- and with their own income; making choices for themselves without government paid programs or watch dog's watching their every move. We are frowned and looked down at- and we underhandedly are looked at like we are criminals!

We, like this, want to be dependent on ourselves- not others! We want to live normal healthy lives, and co-existence- living in peace and harmony just like everyone else. We are simply not given the help, the chance, or the opportunity- nor are we given the precious right of dignity and respect to do just that!!!! Oh how I would like to see more dignity and respect for all us people with Cerebral Palsy and a learning disability or any disability for that matter.

We must be there for each other! Perhaps if each and every one of us reading this would stand up for themselves, we could change the way people and the world, and the way these professionals treat us and look at us!

3 comments:

  1. you are so impressive all I have to say keep up the good work with all your motivation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born with CP in 1953, so I can relate to a lot of what you've been through. I have spasticity in both arms and legs, but to a mild degree. I think people who were born after the '60's are generally more comfortable with people with disabilities and see us more as equals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, you are such an inspiration. I read your post with shame that I, sometimes, take things for granted.

    ReplyDelete