01 May 2003

Wheelchair Assessment Clinic

I attended the clinic today to review my current wheelchair. The backrest has now been adjusted and some of the support padding has been removed as I no longer need the same level of support which I was pleased about. They are going to order some brake extensions so that it is a bit easier to reach the brakes.

I also attended physiotherapy today which went well and hopefully I will be going for Hydrotherapy soon. I have now been home for about eight weeks and I feel that I am improving all the time. I found it quite difficult when I first came home and mum needed to help me quite a lot. I am now finding it a lot easier and am able to do a lot more on my own, for example getting dressed, getting in and out of bed, going to the bathroom, and getting in and out of the bath. Still find getting in and out of the car a bit difficult sometimes. I am also gaining more confidence day by day and I keep thinking, "Well I couldn't do that last week and now I can". I am going for Physiotherapy again on Tuesday 3 June and I also have to go for an assessment on 6 June in the Physiotherapy Department at the hospital I had my operation at. I think it's so they can assess me before I star my Hydrotherapy.

I went for Physiotherapy yesterday and it went really well. After I had finished walking in the bars my Physiotherapist placed a small wooden step in the bars for me to see how well I could step up and down. At first it felt a bit strange although I managed it with her help and it really good as I feel as if my mobility is beginning to come back. We are going to continue to work on it in the bars to help strengthen my legs and help improve my walking. Once I had had a short rest I went for a walk using my frame and I managed to walk further than the last time although this time, you guessed it, I managed to walk back.

12 June 2003 Physiotherapist says I am coming on leaps and bounds compared to when I first saw her. Each week I tired to walk a bit further and succeeded. This week after doing all my exercises and walking practice in the bars, I managed to walk all the way to the Day room, and back again to the Physiotherapy room which for me is quite a long distance. I was really pleased with myself and that I had been able to walk without getting tired. Today instead of pushing myself from the Day room to the Physiotherapy Room for my appointment I am going to walk down to the Physiotherapy room with my Physiotherapist.

Following my treatment I managed to stay out of my chair and walk to where I wanted to go instead of using my chair. I must admit by evening I was getting tired. Today I have managed the same and as yet not used my wheelchair.

I went for my Hydrotherapy Assessment on 6th June 2003 and it went well and I got the go ahead to start Hydrotherapy. The hospital rang me on Thursday and said my first Hydro session is on 23 June 2003 which I am looking forward too. 3 months now since Posterior Correction and Spinal Fusion T10 to L5 Operation 13 March 2003. It has now been three months since my operation and I am feeling really well.

I feel that I am a lot straighter now compared with last year. After I had had my operation and I started moving around it felt like I had swallowed cement and it felt really solid. Now as time has passed I don't feel that anymore and it just feels like I don't have two metal rods in my back. I can't believe how straight I am and I am really pleased that I don't have to use my left arm to support myself anymore. It was a strange feeling to use a knife and folk again. I used to struggle with having to use my left arm to support myself now I don't have to do that anymore. I also that I am able to use two hands when using a keyboard which is a lot faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment