01 May 2003

No stopping me now

The Physiotherapist then decided that a sliding board on the bed and the chair would be better. They helped me back onto the bed and went to get the board.The Physiotherapists then slid me on the sheets across the board and into my chair. It was a weird feeling to be sitting back in my chair but great never the less. I had been sitting in my chair for what seemed a long time and the next thing I knew the Porter was there to take me to x-ray. I went with the nurse and porter to the x-ray department over the other side of the hospital.

It was like going on an adventure because I had not been outside for quite a while. It took time to do the x-ray, because it was taken while I was sitting in my chair. When it was completed, we went back to the ward and the nurses helped me back into bed because I was tired. Later that afternoon I had to go back to x-ray as the Consultant wanted an x-ray of me lying down. Mum came with me and this time the x-ray was much easier and quicker.

Now that I was able to get into my chair there was no stopping me, I improved no end and started to walk sort distances with the Physiotherapist. When mum visited, we would go downstairs in the lift and sit outside in the sun. I continued to improve and the hospital staff happy and they allowed me to go home on 31 March providing that the Occupational Therapist was happy following her visit. 31 March finally going home the Occupational Therapist came at 1.30pm, I gathered my belongings, and we went down stairs and waited for the taxi to arrive. I was excited to be finally going home the taxi arrived, the driver released the ramp, and he pushed me up and then clamped the wheelchair down. It took about 20 minutes to get home and it was nice to see that not much had changed.

When I got in the house, the Occupational Therapist watched how I managed around the house, eg getting in to my lift and then how I managed to get in and out of bed. We then went back downstairs and into the bathroom and I managed to do everything although it was getting a bit difficult because I was starting to get tired. Then we went into the lounge and I managed to get up and down from my chair that was the easy bit because it is a riser chair and it helps you to a standing position at a touch of a button. The Occupational Therapist was happy that I could manage. I was really tired by now and rested for the rest of the day after the Therapist had gone. It was really nice to be home after 3 weeks in hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment