18 February 2002

Stockton Sixth Form

After I left school I did not know what I wanted to do but one thing I did do was go to Sixth Form College. I found this difficult again it took me ages before I made any friends, I found that the students were a bit scared to talk to me because I was in a wheelchair although When I started walking around using my crutches people started to chat to me as I suppose I was on the same level as them.

After the initial barrier so to speak had been dropped and the students were aware of my disability it was not a problem and we got on great. While I was at college I studied more GCSE's and A level's which I enjoyed and I passed my Fine Art & Design A Level. As part of my Art course we went to Barnard Castle on a painting summer school for 3 days and I really enjoyed it luckily the weather was ok so managed to get a few paintings done.

I also passed my driving test. Although during my A levels I began having problems with my hip and needed another operation on the other hip this time. I sat one of my A levels at home and the examiner came to my house because of the problems I had been having. I managed to do my exam although I didn't pass it. I then went in hospital where they re built and reshaped my hip and I spent 3 months on traction which was boring all I wanted to do was go home.

After spending time recovering I was on the go again I wanted to go to work so I began a training course in Business Admin with ICI and then I had a work placement with my local Jobcentre which gave me more incentive too go to work so I started applying for jobs and yes I had the knock backs which were disappointing but I took it on the chin and just tried again and again. Yes you got it I finally got offered a job with the Local Authority and I am still there today having moved through various departments.

No comments:

Post a Comment