18 February 2002

So my story starts - my first bike

Getting your first bike is an exciting thing for all children, and it was nothing different for me. I can't remember exactly how old I was but I remember it as a three wheel trike red and blue. We went to Middlesbrough General to get my assessment to see whether or not I would be able to ride it. I had to have special rollers take base put on the pedals so that my feet could be fastened to the pedals, because I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals. I can't remember much about the assessment but I do remember that my bike was ready for Christmas and on Christmas Day there it was with a label saying from Santa and I couldn't wait to get on it and try it out so the first weekend in the new year Mum helped me onto it strapped me on and I was off free as a bird, I was in charge and I could go my own as long as I didn't go near any kerbs at first because I needed help with that. I had this bike for a few years and then as I grew I went back for another assessment and this time I got a red and white one with a bigger seat.

This one was even better than my first one and I went all over on it and also with friends and family. The only problem I had was that I couldn't do a full revolution with my legs because of the problems I had with my knees at the time before I had had the operation on them. I remember one particular day Mum and I walked round to my granddad’s which was a long ride for me so I was quite tired when we got there. Anyway Granddad came out to inspect my new bike and thought it was great. He was always coming up with ideas to try and help me get around and I wanted to show off to him how good I was on this new bike.

He stood and watched me and when I came back to him, he said hang on I have had a idea to help you try and get your leg all the way round, he went off to the garage and came back with some string/rope and he fastened it through the rollers take pedal and around my foot. Then as I pedalled to where I could he then pulled the rope the rest of the way and my leg went all the way round. Ok it wasn't the solution but it worked at the time. After I had had my knee operations I was able to pedal fully and it was great because I was able to go a little faster and it really helped to build my muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment