10 March 2010

A Feather in A Story.

I’ve been thinking a lot about life lately. As a writer we tend to spend lots of time reflecting on life, our own and even the lives of others. A year ago Donald Miller released a book called “A Million Miles In A Thousand Years.” I got it pretty much the day it came out, read it in four days. The book was so inspiring to me, I don’t want to give anything away, but in a nutshell it’s about how to live and make a great story with the life you have.
And so for the past several months that’s been a huge on going process with me. I’ve come to understand the obvious, and that’s that life is full of ups and downs, twists and turns and mistakes and glories. All in the midsts of heart ache and joy. We find ourselves in constant changing seasons, some of great joy and wonder, and others a dark cloud that never seems to stop following us.
But were in a story are we not? God gave us one life. One single life, and everyday we have a chance to live a great story with our lives. I have some friends that have really found themselves at what seems to be the end for their lives, and though they may be alive it’s as though their like that feather in forrest Gump that just floats around without any sense of purpose in life.
It pains me because so much of life is thrown away everyday, lives full of pills, razor blades and life shattering addictions. I often make myself try and feel how God feels, and when that happens all I can do is lower my head and prayer. Because sometimes words are not enough. My Mom always told that you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.
And that brings me back to God again, because he too had a story compiled of his life. Brought into this world, to teach others about how to live a great story with their lives. But it was never ever easy, for anyone. Much was required. Jesus gave his life so that we may drink of his living water and have life to the fullest.
So many times Jesus said to not be afraid, but to have what? Courage. Now here is what I think we ALL miss in the stories of the scriptures. Everytime Jesus said this, it wasn’t like everyones fear was gone within an instant. I bet a lot of the people have to work it out for themselves. Which now brings me back to the feather I mentioned above. Sometimes we need to be like Forrest Gump and watch the feather float, just sit there and watch it, and see if it doesn’t show you its beauty.
And if it’s not a feather, maybe we should all find something to help us re-focus our selves, because it only takes a moment of clarity to wake something up inside of us. It’s happening to me, and I’m sure it can happen to you, if you let it.
-Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment