17 October 2008

2008 GOWRIE NEWSLETTER ISSUE 02




Page 4: HOLIDAY IN SPAIN

Last year I went on holiday to Spain in October with a company called Supported Holidays run by Sue Osman. I liked it so much that I went again in December and have booked to go again this year and would like to tell you all about it.

I heard about Supported Holidays from my Support Workers, who knew other service users who had enjoyed their holidays in Spain. I wanted to go abroad but didn’t want to go on my own so I thought a supported holiday would be just right for me. I caught a flight from Edinburgh to Malaga airport where I was met by staff from Sue’s project. It is quiet a long drive from the airport to the house in Nerja. This is a quit secluded area of Malaga and you can see the mountains in the distance. We drove up there one day and I saw a huge Dam which was very educational.

Now we come to the most important part of the project – the house itself! When you arrive you see 2 long green gates to the south of the property and a ramp down the side of the house which leads to bedrooms suitable for people in wheelchairs. The house is guarded by 2 big dogs called Cass & Monty, I was a bit scared of them at first but once they know you they are very friendly. There is a large enclosed garden with a swimming pool that the residents can use. I had my own bedroom and shared a bathroom with 2 to 3 other guests. The staff make lovely meals and even got my favourite cooked for me – a big Sunday roast with ice-cream for dessert!

There are lots of things you can do during your holiday; Sue organises trips for her visitors and the staff drive us in the project mini-bus. I went on a trip on a cable car with one staff called Sean. I was a bit nervous before I went on but once I was up it was just like sitting on a bus! The view was beautiful, it felt like you could see all over Spain and right across the sea. Other days I chose to go around the shops with Sue. There are a lot of cafes and bars in Malaga too where we went out with the staff in the evening. One night I saw a wonderful fireworks display with pinks, reds, blues and yellow lighting up the sky.

I cant wait to go again this October.

FRANK WYNEE

No comments:

Post a Comment