01 April 2006

Working in the Gym

I walked in to the parallel bars and starting walking to the end and then back again, I like using the bars because it is the only time that I feel that I am walking normally, after a few times I was allowed to sit and have a rest then my physio went to get a gym ball and I looked and said "is this the gadget you want me to have a go with?”Yes" then the Physio assistant came in to help us out. I got up and walked into the middle of the bars and the ball was put behind me and I sat down on it but I still had hold of the bars so it felt ok.

Then I had to sit further back on it so that my feet weren't touching the floor, damn there's my comfort zone gone but hey I still had hold of the bars so it hadn't gone altogether. Then the hard work started I was sitting on the ball holding for grim death onto the bars, physio in front of me, assistant behind. Then my physio said "think you balanced enough if so leave go with one hand, you decide which hand, I said "are you sure because knowing me I will slide off it" "No you wont trust me I wont let you fall go on try it" So I very slowly took my hand off the bar, and yes you guessed it I wobbled and thought I'm going to slide off here. After a few seconds I realised that I wasn't going to slide but realised that I had to use my trunk muscles to keep me on the ball and using my trunk muscles is something that I had forgot how to use somewhat with having the metal rod in my back that now was supporting me so my muscles have sort of fell asleep, but now oh boy they woke up with a shock!!!!!!

Then once I had got used to taking my hand off the bar I slowly lowered it onto my lap ok I wobbled a bit but still kept the control then "Now take your other hand off" and I went through the same process and before I knew it I was sitting on the ball without holding on and I started laughing and my Physio replies I know why you are laughing "Why is said" "You have achieved something that you thought you wouldn't and now you have I knew you would grasp it" I said "well yes because I thought I was going to slide" "Well there you go then I told you that you weren't going to slide and that I wasn't going to let you fall and now look at you balancing" I was over the moon because I had never been able to sit unaided before until now of course now there was no stopping me I was on such a high I couldn't wait to tell my family and friends. As I was getting ready to leave the gym Mariah Carey came on the radio singing Hero and it stuck me the second verse.

"And then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside and you know you can survive,
So when you feel like hope is gone, look inside you and be strong,
And you'll finally see the truth that a hero lies in you."
Fit exactly how I was feeling at that moment I was quite tired after the session but it didn't bother me in the least I made another appointment for the following week and I couldn't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment