18 February 2007

Things seemed to go from strength from that day

I started to go up in my lift on my frame rather than using my wheelchair, its surprising how much more space I have and I feel more in control walking to and from my bed and the more I did it the stronger I felt and still feel over the days that followed I started to feel the floor more when standing and I started to stand for longer but also to my joy I started to balance without holding my frame ok when I first tried it I wobbled a bit but I work and worked at it and yes you guessed it I had cracked it and there I was standing by myself briefly at first, but I slowly built this up and now I can stand for quite a while and its great.

Many things in my life were standing to become easier by the day and the next thing that I had managed to do was to put my socks and shoes on.This has always been a problem to me because of my leg being straight now and my back also but its something that I knew wouldn't beat me, it was just a case of working out a way of doing it. As I remember it was the weekend and I was sitting in my chair wondering how to tackle it, I went into the bathroom to get my helping hand, which I use to help me get dressed and then griped my sock with it and slowly got my toes in but at first I hadn't quite got it so tried again and this time yes I had got the elastic bit of the sock of my toes phew!!!!!

That was hard work then I released the grip on the sock and this time griped the bit of the elastic and pulled slowly but surely I was pulling the sock on bit by bit then hoorah I had pulled it on then tried the other one doing exactly the same. 15 minutes had gone by but I had done it I had my socks on and I had done it on my own for the first time since my leg was fused. Okay it was 15 minutes but what's 15 minutes when I had achieved it!!!!

Then my next task was to get my trainers on I used the same principal using my hand help griping the shoe and pushing it on as far as I could and then pushing my foot down into it and yes you guessed it I had got my shoes on ok they weren't fastened but that didn't bother me I was free to go out now knowing that I hadn't had to rely someone to put them on for me. Now there was no stopping me nothing seemed to be a problem anymore because everything I tried I had achieved the same as when I was young everything I wanted to do I did, ok might of took a little longer to do it but I achieved it no matter what. Once I achieved my socks and shoes I used to think I wonder what's next, it used to worry me a little because I was never sure what my mind was thinking in the early days if you know what I mean.

As my life is now I just feel like the words in One Moment in Time by Whitney Housten

Each day I live
I want to be
A day to give
The best of me
I'm only one
But not alone
My finest day
Is yet unknown

I broke my heart
Fought every gain
To taste the sweet
I face the pain
I rise and fall
Yet through it all

This much remains

I want one moment in time
When I'm more than I thought I could be
When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away
And the answers are all up to me
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time

I will feel
I will feel eternity

I mean look what I have achieved walking normally, standing unaided, putting my socks and shoes on, so who knows what's next I just take it with both hands and I say bring it on I'm ready !!!! I feel so strong that I could achieve anything I want "And answers are all up to me"

No comments:

Post a Comment