01 February 2004

Having my knee fused straight

When I got home from the hospital that night I sat and thought about it and wondered how long it would be that I would have to wait and then I thought what if it's a long time and I'm not strong enough to have it done or my knee becomes more unstable while I'm waiting. I then talked to my family about the possibility of going private to have it done.

They agreed to help out financially if that was what I wanted which it was. I quickly rang the hospital to enquire about going private and although it took a few days to sort out it was done and dusted and I was given the date as the 14th January 2004 for the operation.The day finally came and I had to be on the ward really early in the morning there I was waiting in the room and the nurses came into help me get ready and sort all the paperwork out, then my Consultant came in to see me and go through everything on the consent form and then he drew a smiley face on the leg he was operating on.

He explained that I would have a metal fixator frame on my knee and be in a full length plaster. I said "would I be able to walk on it" "Yes I will make it light as possible" then I was wheeled down to the theatre Mum walking down with me as far as she was allowed. I woke up back in my room and boy did I have some pain it was more than I expected but I was given painkillers regularly I slept most of the rest of the day and I remember Mum coming on the night and looked a bit worried when she saw the plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment